Saturday, October 14, 2006

That's Funny, I Don't Care Who Y'are

Saw my fourth Marx Brothers movie yesterday, and I am now thoroughly convinced Groucho Marx is the most consistently funny, and really, THE funniest person I've ever seen in a movie. 90% of his jokes are funny, (and it would probably be 95% funny if I knew more about life in the 30's.)
He spouts one-liners fast and furious and his timing, delivery, and mannerisms are just perfect, every time. The other brothers are all great too, but Groucho's inspired comedic performances stand out and are still hilarious, even some 70 years later. There's something to be said for timeless comedy and this is a rare source where you can find it. I wonder what from today will still be funny into the 2070's.....certainly not me (and probably not Larry the Cable Guy, either).

Maybe it's a sign that things(or humor, or people) haven't changed so much in the decades since. Maybe not, maybe it's just funny and searching for social significance in it is all for naught.

Regardless, I recommend all of you seek out Duck Soup (widely considered the best of their movies, and in my view, rightfully so), Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers, or A Night at the Opera, and probably any of the other films they made that I haven't seen yet.

Not convinced? Check out this scene from Duck Soup (courtesy of Youtube)


In other news (because I doubt anyone will heed my advice on the Marx Brothers movies), I think I've decided (as no doubt several others have before me have as well) there are 3 kinds of people in the world: participators, observers, and recluses. I see myself as being an observer, with reclusive tendencies.

Et tu, dear reader?

(p.s. I've also decided I use parenthetical notation too frequently in posting here)

No comments: