Saturday, February 24, 2007

Here Comes the Judge, Here Comes the Judge

I've stayed out of the Anna Nicole Smith custody drama because I don't think it matters and is largely exploitation, but a recent development in this circus has me puzzled.

There was a noticeable uptick in righteous outrage regarding the judge in the case, with the insinuation that he was playing it up for the cameras, in hopes of getting his own show, not simply adjudicating the case.

Well, here's my question. How would those, who now claim moral authority over this judge, know how he was handling the case unless they were watching? Don't tell me they have an overriding interest in family law or that Court TV is required viewing in their households; they were watching for voyeuristic entertainment value. They and virtually all media figures around the country were complicit in the exploitation of the Smith family and those around them over the past 2-3 weeks, gossiping about these lives for their own entertainment or profits. These are the same people who created Judge Judy, People's Court, and all of those other showcases for judge personalities that turned our judicial system into an attempt at entertainment. But none of them claim or take any responsibility, and now want to express indignation about this judge who might be trying to fit into their system.

The fact is, he proved that he belongs. He became a media figure, overshadowing the case itself the last day or two. The fact is, should this guy get a show for himself, these same people who are calling for his ouster today will be the first ones tuning in; the media personalities knocking him now, will be pumping up his show for ratings if he lands on their network. It's all for profit, it's all for entertainment, turning the lives of real people into fiction for their own personal enjoyment. I believe I talked about all of this yesterday, so I guess I could call this Exhibit A, a case study if you will. I'm not saying the judge should be exonerated and legitimized, quite to the contrary, I think he is a joke, but I think these other hypocritical folks are just as pathetic.

Now, when, not if, this judge gets his television program, I propose Shorty Long's R&B classic Here Comes the Judge for the theme song (if you are unfamiliar with the song, it's streaming here, it's about the 10th song down the list)

No comments: