Monday, February 12, 2007

Another 198th Birthday

Coincidentally born the same day as Lincoln, Charles Darwin. Now we hear from the father of the theory of natural selection:

"I am a strong advocate for free thought on all subjects, yet it appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against christianity & theism produce hardly any effect on the public; & freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follow[s] from the advance of science. It has, therefore, been always my object to avoid writing on religion, & I have confined myself to science."

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

"I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free so as to give up any hypothesis, however much beloved (and I cannot resist forming one on every subject), as soon as the facts are shown to be opposed to it."

" As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities."

"A man who dares to waste one hour of life has not discovered the value of life."

"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin."

“How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children”

"A man's friendships are one of the best measures of his worth."

“I fully subscribe to the judgement of those writers who maintain that of all the differences between man and the lower animal, the moral sense of conscience is by far the most important....It is the most noble of all the attributes of man.”

“I have tried lately to read Shakespeare, and found it so intolerably dull that it nauseated me.”

No comments: