Friday, February 02, 2007

The Case of the Missing Awards Show

Where the heck are the Grammys? I know they announced the nominees at least 2 months ago, if not more.

It's bad enough that they have those goofy nomination rules, where eligible songs and/or albums for the 2007 Grammys were released between the October 2005 and the September 2006, with nominations announced in December of 2006. Here's how ludicrous the rules are: John Legend is nominated for 3 Grammys for 2 different songs on his most recent album. However, the actual album was released after the cutoff, so he has 2 singles from his album nominated this year, but the album itself will only be eligible next year. ????????

So we have to wait at least 2 months from the announcement of noms until the giving of awards, a full 5-6 months since any album nominated could have been released (the last nominated album released was John Mayer's Continuum, back in early September). I don't much care who wins or loses (they usually have lousy nominees [when was the last time someone who wasn't a top 40 act won Artist of the Year?]), but I don't like having these nominations hanging over my head (I'll throw the remote through the tv if I have to hear about enough about Mary J. Blige being the most nominated artist this year again)

Let's go ahead and tighten it up, give those awards out and move it along. Please, for the sake of my television.

Grammy's....you're officially on the clock.

Well, technically, you've been on the clock since September, but this time I said it, if that means anything to you.

No comments: