Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month?

This is another 'why didn't anybody tell me', although, halfway through the month is, I suppose, an appropriate time to discover that it is in fact Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month, given their complete absence from the national conversation (Michelle Malkin, regrettably, excepted).

While Black History Month is, I believe, the most popular ethnic-based gala, I do wonder what, if anything, it says that we "celebrate" black history and, by contrast, Asian Pacific heritage, one extolling the actions of those who have come and gone, the other embracing the culture. Why the difference? Or have I read to much into the naming of these relatively meaningless displays of multicultural pandering?

So, how are you celebrating?

In other multicultural news, German-born Dirk Nowitzki was officially named NBA League MVP today for the 2006-2007 season, making it the 3rd straight season that a non-American is the league MVP, and Tim Duncan, born in the Virgin Islands was MVP for the 2001-02 and 02-03 seasons, making Kevin Garnett in 2003-2004 the only NBA MVP born in America-proper in 7 years....get it together contiguous Americans...we're losing our beloved game to the clutches of the freedom-hating, terroist-loving world outside of our great 48 (+2).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,
I can't imagine that most celebrants of such events find any difference between "heritage" and "history". Most of these festivals seem like month long fill-in-the-blank pride parades. While membership in some community, 'us', necessarily excludes 'them', I am pleased by the proliferation and peaceful nature of these designated months. Sure it's also national taxidermy month and copy machiene repair man's month too, but I take these months as a sign of diminishing prejudice. So, be it in name a celebration of history or heritage, I think it's rather, with a respectful doff of the cap to our predecessors, a celebration of the present.

Jason McGensy said...

I know; that post was being written as I was near tears as the Warriors were going down in flames at the evil hands of Jerry Sloan and Co. so I wouldn't put too much stock in anything in this post.

In other news, I am very much looking forward to July and National Ice Cream Month.