Friday, September 15, 2006

Inaugural

It's amazing what having too much free time does to a person who lives essentially alone. Oh sure, Mom and Dad "live" here too, but I do spend the majority of my time by myself these days and the crazy thing is, I actually have time to think about things, whether I want to or not. If I want to stop and think about something, I can just do it. I've gotten to the point where turning off the tv is very easy and I haven't played the ol PS2 in weeks it seems. One thing that has come about is that I realize having the ability to think about things doesn't necessarily provide clarity, and often times causes more confusion and concern that never would've come about if I didn't ever turn off reruns of Seinfeld, wasted away the afternoon on Facebook, or spent all day obeying the commands of rappers on the radio to "lean back", do a "shoulder lean" or "lean wit it, rock wit it" (What's with all this "lean"ing anyway, why can't we stand up straight? Have they no concern for the posture of future generations?)
But i digress...the time all of this contemplation gets disheartening is when you realize that many problems have no easily implementable answer, or that there is a simple solution that will never be realized because of the way the world is structured. The recent John Mayer single, 'Waiting on the World to Change", (which happens to come off of a very good, and personally recommended album, Continuum) comes to mind, as he croons, "Now, we see everything that's going wrong, with the world and those who lead it; We just feel like we don't have the means to rise above and beat it." So, what do you do when you feel like the world is a crazy, mixed-up place, stuck in a rut and there's nothing you can do about it? I suggest you lean wit it, rock wit it, and wait on the world to change.

No comments: