Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2010 Top 10s: Songs

Please note: I make no claim that these represent the "best" of the year, merely my personal favorites.

1. Janelle Monae - Come Alive (War of the Roses)
Favorite song of the year. So much talent, so much range, vocally & musically.


2. Carolina Chocolate Drops - Don't Get Trouble in Your Mind
Saw these guys live back in the October and it was one of the best live performances I've seen. The recordings are great, but live, they go to another level.


3. The Green Children - Hear Me Now (Unplugged)
Easily my favorite vocal of the year. First time I heard it I fell in love with it and I could listen to this song all day.


4. Local Natives - Who Knows Who Cares


5. Fitz & The Tantrums - MoneyGrabber
Favorite music video of the year.


6. LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean


7. Eric Bibb - Rocking Chair


8. Justin Townes Earle - Working for the MTA


9. Lana Mir - These Days


10. Francis and the Lights - Knees to the Floor



11. Carolina Chocolate Drops - Snowden's Jig (Genuine Negro Jig)
Live in Fresno! w/ Danny 'Slapjazz' Barber.



Rounding out the top 22, alphabetically:
Anthony Hamilton - Her Heart
Aqualung - Reel Me In
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Conscience Killer
Darius Rucker - Come Back Song
The Green Children - Skies on Fire
Jaheim - Finding My Way Back
JJ Grey & Mofro - Beautiful World
JJ Grey & Mofro - Hottest Spot in Hell
Sara Bareilles - Uncharted
Seth Swirksy - Watercolor Day
The Soft Pack - Parasites




And here are my 5 favorite gems from the past that I just discovered this year:
1. Jackie Wilson - That's Why I Love You So


2. Big Star - Watch the Sunrise


3. The Sonics - Keep A Knockin


4. Donny Hathaway - Sack Full of Dreams (live)


5. Buck Owens -Tall Dark Stranger


And, just for the heck of it, I'll round out a top 10 for the back catalog:
Twilight - We'll Be Special
Sam & Dave - Soothe Me
The Beach Boys - Be Still
Hall & Oates - Rich Girl
Otis Redding - Security

No comments: