Friday, June 01, 2007

Pistol Pete Is Back!

Oh sure, every Thanksgiving we all take turns around the dinner table, spouting platitudes and insincerities about things for which we are "thankful". This November, however, there will actually be something worth mentioning:

Pete Sampras will play top-ranked Roger Federer in three exhibition matches throughout Asia in November.

Sampras, who retired in 2002, will challenge Federer on Nov. 22 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Two days later, they will play at the Chinese gambling enclave of Macau. The location for the third match on Nov. 20 has not been determined. “I am so excited to play Pete and I am really looking forward to visiting Malaysia for the first time,” Federer said. “There is no doubt that we will play some great tennis.”

The exhibitions originated after Sampras invited Federer to practice at his home in Los Angeles as part of Federer’s preparations for the Indian Wells tournament in March.

“Obviously he’s a great player, but I felt like I didn’t embarrass myself out there,” Sampras said. “I feel like I can hold my own.”


The greatest of this generation vs. the greatest of last generation in a Chinese gambling enclave? Count me in!

On the other end of the spectrum you can count out all Americans in both the male and female sides of the French Open already. Great job, folks. Way to represent the ol' red, white, and blue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we lose at the French as a sort of F-YOU! Frenchies, look at us not having the French Open rate any better than Joel Olsteen in the Finals on the weekend morning.